Do you want to be part of a growing business in a specialist niche market?
Do you have a ‘winning’ mentality, eager to have influence? Great! We’d love to hear from you.
We have an opportunity for an individual to work within the Procurement Team on-site in Aylesbury.
We are looking for a Senior Buyer to:
- Take responsibility for developing robust Supplier Relationship Management processes for key direct material suppliers, specifically fabricators, metal suppliers and foundries.
- Actively participate in the buying of production materials and associated services.
- Assist in developing the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the direct material purchasing process within the organisation. This includes setting purchasing policies, managing purchasing budgets and the overall management of the purchasing processes.
Your role will also involve assisting in setting and facilitating the overall direct material purchasing strategy of the organisation.
As a member of a small team, you could also support other activities within Procurement as and when the business requires.
Who you’ll interact with
You will work as part of a team with a direct reporting line to the Head of Procurement, who, in turn, reports to the Engineering and Operations Director.
You will be fully supported in the role by experts across the business.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Good negotiation skills.
- Ability to analyse cost effectiveness and make sound business decisions.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities for multiple projects.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to work effectively in a high-paced and demanding environment.
- Experience working with MRP & ERP Systems.
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of purchasing concepts in a manufacturing environment.
- Level 4 or higher CIPS certification, a diploma/degree or relevant experience in a similar role
- Commercial experience in a Manufacturing /Procurement function
- Experience with Lean / Continuous Improvement activities.
- Ability to read and work with technical engineering drawings and specifications.
- Knowledge/experience with logistics.
Your key responsibilities
Purchase direct materials and associated services against requisitioned needs and specifications in an efficient and effective manner to meet cost, quality and delivery expectations.
- Recommend and implement supplier agreements with key direct material suppliers (specifically fabricators, metal suppliers and foundries).
- Review and rationalise the direct material supplier base.
- Analyse the direct material purchasing spend / budget.
- Provide monthly updates of key direct material suppliers to include spendings, current issues, future capacity constraints, supplier risks and market intelligence.
- Be an integral part of the bid teams to advise supplier risks, cost and lead times etc., to improve the accuracy of the material component of the bids.
- Be an integral part of the project handover to provide early support to Engineering designs and project management.
- Investigate and justify alternative direct material strategies, e.g., VMI, call-offs, Advanced Procurements of materials etc.
- Help to develop the ERP direct material requisition process.
- Identify and assess suitable vendors to meet future needs in accordance with the company’s procedures.
- Review and report direct material supplier performance in line with the requirements of the company’s Management System.
- Continual review of the company’s trading terms and conditions of purchase on a general and specific basis, consistent with prevailing legislation, contract requirements and company’s policy.
- Manage and report on the direct material supplier performance against key performance indicators.
- Have an active and influential input into the company ERP programme to develop the systems and processes.
- Communicate effectively with managers, engineers, administrators and sales representatives within the business.
- Mentor and develop the buyers in the purchasing team.
How we’ll support you
You will have ongoing support in systems, technical and training in line with the needs of the role and business.
Feels like it’s your ideal job